CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Heros

Every time I come home from work, I have these thoughts. Thoughts that it could be me in that hospital room with a sick child. It could be me who is given the news that the only hope for my child is a bone marrow transplant and that my child has a chromosome abnormality that makes the battle even more difficult. I am reminded each time I set foot on that floor that I am SO BLESSED with healthy children!


The kids I work with are so tough. Someone is always in and out of their rooms, their IVs are constantly beeping (b/c they get LOTS of meds), and the worst part is...they are not in their bed! I often think to myself, "this is not fair!" These kids should be playing football, taking dance lessons, going to school...but instead they sit in a hospital bed and wait. Wait for the doctor's report, wait for the chemo to work, wait for the nausea to go away, wait for the stem cells to en graft, wait for their hair to fall out... I can't imagine, nor do I want to, their life. But I do believe that they are some of the strongest human beings I know!

I try to hang with these kids as much as I can and learn about them. Just to have a moment to touch their lives, when instead they ALWAYS touch mine. A few nights ago I was working and one of our patients was looking for a movie to watch. We conversed about our favorites and I mentioned that I loved The Wizard of Oz. She had never seen it and we didn't have it on our floor...so I promised that I would bring my copy the next time I worked. I then remembered that I had it in the van. Yippee! I ran to the car and brought it back to her so excited to see the look on her face... She was elated, and has since watched it every day. She told me it was her favorite movie now. WOW! How awesome to be able to provide that one thing for her. I intended to make her day, but she made mine!

These kids are my heros! They have all touched my life and I hope have made me a better wife, daughter, and mother. They show me what really is important in life and what isn't worth a moment's time. Because of them, I tell my kids I love them every day! Because of them, I truly know how blessed I am.

Food for thought...

What reminds you how blessed you are?

Who is your hero?



2 comments:

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

You made me cry!

Right now, my heros are my wonderful friends.....I count you among the bestest :) Knowing that I have someone on my side with your love and compassion brings me so much peace.

I thank God for such a wonderful friend here on Earth :)

The Tittle Family said...

Great post Bethany! We know of a little girl up here in NC (friend of a friend) who is 5 years old and in the past few weeks has been diagnosed with an inoperable brain stem tumor. Her prognosis is grim and right now we are trying to rally together as a community of believers and neighbors to show our love and support for her family. I don't even know them but their story is so heartbreaking yet so full of hope at the same time! They are a family of believers and I know their only hope is in Christ their savior right now. It makes me so thankful that I am not going through that but makes me hope that if I was I would be clinging to Christ with every fiber of my being like they are! It's also made me thank God more, in the past few weeks, that my family and children are healthy than I ever have! We are praying for a miracle and believing that God can, if He only will!

I admire you for your bravery when working with the sick children! In sickness and health, children teach us so much...if we only stop to learn it! Good luck in your work, may God continue to bring children into your life that you may touch with His love!