Today has been a long day of studying for me. Most times I have to leave the house in order to get anything done. Not because the fam won't leave me alone, but because I see all the things in the house that need to get done and then no studying gets done at all.
I decided to go to Panera and sit and study, not to mention free refills on coffee. Got to have the java! It was rather quiet there, more so than I expected, and in between writing and reading I would soak up the people around me. I love to people watch!
It was interesting to see all the different 'groups' of people that would come in. Married couples, dating couples, friends, mothers and daughters, families...all there for different reasons or occasions.
All that to say that one couple in particular caught my eye. I was ordering my dinner (since I was there for 6 hours) and happened to be in line behind them. Now, I have no idea how old they were, but they were precious. He was so kind, polite and chivalrous and she was so thoughtful, appreciative, and respectful to him. It was the way things are supposed to be in relationships. You could tell by the way that they looked at each other that they were truly and completely 100% concerned about the other and not themselves. Neither of them caring about what anyone around them thought.
At this moment, I realized the truth that we are all created in God's image. That we are all 'fearfully and wonderfully made.' You see, this couple was not 'normal' by the world's standards. Both of these precious people had a condition we know as Downs Syndrome.
I've always found myself feeling sorry for people with disabilities and thinking how sad it is. But is it really? These two were enjoying themselves just like I would with my husband. They knew no difference. I was moved almost to tears to see them together and how they interacted with each other. It was truly amazing. I could learn so much from them.
I'm sure you're wondering what is the point...well, the point is that God used that small moment that I witnessed between that couple to teach me a little more about Him and His nature.
So many times I wonder and question things like: why do kids have to get cancer? why do people have to give birth to 'less than perfect' children? why do family members have to get debilitating diseases that end in death? why, why, why?
While I will probably never get the answer that I'm looking for to those questions, I know God is in control and His purpose will be accomplished. Maybe those two people were there right then just for me...because God loves me that much that he would orchestrate one small moment to show me that. I don't think for one second that either of those two are 'less than perfect'. Perfect is relative. All of us are created in His image no matter what we look like to the outside world.
Genesis 1:27 (MSG)
God created human beings; he created them godlike, Reflecting God's nature
Psalms 139:14-16 (MSG)
I thank you, High God - you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration - what a creation!
You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
God Never Ceases to Amaze Me
Posted by Bethany Edgeworth at 10:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Made me cry! Beautifully written and when I got to the part about the couple who were Down Syndrome you got me. Maybe the couple were angels in disguise? Maybe the "not so perfect" are actually the perfection. Hmmmm....Hebrews 13:2
Thanks! hugs! jan xxoo <><
I really enjoyed this post. It looks like you learned more than just your nursing studies at Panera!
Thanks for writing it!
Post a Comment